Ye Mere Deewanapan Hai I Sophia Abella

Monday, December 27, 2010

The last word of dating for 2010

It's not often that a year brings us so many ups, downs, twists, turns and sordid affairs as 2010 managed to do.

And what a year it was. We had the rise of recyclable men. Mistresses getting revenge on billboards. The introduction of the Waity Katy syndrome and the answer to why men cheat on hot women.
We learnt how feminism stuffed up your love life, why you should shag 12 people before you settle down and how Katy Perry finally got bad boy Russell Brand to actually settle down. Her secret? You guessed it. She refused to sleep with him.

Want hotter sex (and more attention)? Date younger men. Negotiated infidelity sometimes actually works. Stay away from stringers. Celibacy is in. Sex makes you live longer. The rise of the Omega males. The so-called "masculinity crisis" turning our men into hairless woosies. Shane Warne's sexting shenanigans ... again.

Yep, it's been quite a year here. Discussed everything from the new female sport of "husband hunting" (which has grown astronomically thanks to the delayed marriage age for Aussie men), to men who lie about their job to get laid. Who can forget the guy who lied to my girlfriend about being a banker but really worked in sales? I certainly haven't. Then there were the sordid affairs of famous blokes like Jesse James, Eva Longoria's husband Tony Parker, David Arquette and Shane Warne ... again.

Some might ask why we do it? Why talk day in, day out about dating, sex and relationships when we end up only going around in circles - never getting anything more than a token text message if you're lucky and an STD if you're not? Why do we all complain, bitch, yearn, moan, gloat, question and obsess about our love lives, lost loves, rekindled loves, new loves, old loves and current loves? Why all the talk about love?
By my reckoning, it boils down to one simple thing: the eternal search for happiness. After all, isn't that what life (and love) is all about?

So I want to pose a question to you today: what really makes you happy? Is it being in a relationship? Being married? Your kids? Being happily single? Committing? Refusing to commit in order to have a life filled with freedom, fun and more sexual escapades than Tiger Woods?

If the Dalai Lama is to be believed, then "happiness is the goal of our lives". So we shouldn't be afraid to chase after it, hunt it down and shout about our quest from the rooftops - no matter what the cost.
According to the Centre of Health and Wellbeing at Princeton University, there actually is a cost - $75,000 to be exact. Yep, researchers have discovered that if you earn more than that amount, you will be happier than your lesser-earning counterparts. (Somehow I very much doubt this one has much merit...)

In lieu of all this talk of happiness, I've decided to showcase some of my favourite emails of the year and I invite you to share with me what makes you happy ... just please don't tell me it's a sports car.

Writes Ms. Envy:
"Just letting you know that my wedding took place on the 6 November 2010. It was located at the State Library of NSW and it was just perfect. I started reading your blog after a terrible break up in 2005 and you know what? I think all your blogs helped me in some small way to realise what love and life should be like! So Cheers to you Sam on helping me find myself and as a bonus Mr Right who I married not long ago!"

Writes another reader:
"Mine has been a happy story. Through a girl I met on this blog, I met my future husband and we are getting married in July next year! :)"
And says Julie:
"Reading your column over the years has proved to me that other people are in the same position as me, and that there are decent people out there looking for the same type of love as me. I have gained confidence and knowledge in the fact that it's really all about my attitude! Changing my attitude when I go out has meant that I'm now meeting men all over the place wherever I go ... including my current boyfriend who spotted me and asked me out while I was walking down the street! He told me he noticed my smile first... and the funny thing was I was just smiling at what a beautiful day it was."

And finally, some questions from readers that I wasn't able to get through this year. Feel free to provide your insight, and I'll see you next year for another great season!

Pat: "Is it just me, or do women seem really, really skanky these days?"
Jack: "Why is it that the moment I express some romantic interest, women take advantage of that circumstance and start to stuff around, in a vulgar, combative and detrimental manner?"
Randy: "Why do we never talk about the benefits of a long term relationship that doesn't get bogged down in selfishness, minor spats and infidelity but just gets better and better every day?  They do exist and I feel there would be much benefit to your readers to hear from people who are in those types of relationships so that they could share their wisdom as it were."
And finally these questions from Tim:

"Why do some dominant alpha males hang around weaker men and try to move in on their girlfriends? Why do some women not like pretty boys at all? Is it true that some people have met the love of their life for five minutes or an evening, yet it lasts them a lifetime? Can love really last a lifetime? All this talk that men only want sex is only partially true......  Ask any male 'if you could sleep with endless models for years but there is no connection, would you be fulfilled'? I bet they would say it would be good for a while but they would get sick of it. And is meeting 'the one' really our goal? Or is there multiple people who we would call 'the one'?

What do you think? What are your new years resolutions? And what really makes you happy? 
Have a fabulous festive season, happy dating and see you in 2011!! Be back last week of January .xx LOVE YOU GUYS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment